From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 12:29:02 -0500
Marcus Kim writes:

>...asked Dr.  Walker to pass on a request to Marc-Andre Hamelin that he
>consider recording the 1838 version of the Liszt transcendental etudes;
>pieces so difficult that only two complete recordings exist.  It is hard
>to imagine how the transcendental etudes we know today (1851 version) is
>the trimmed down, "easier" version.

Leslie Howard for Hyperion, and Thomas Rajna (I have the LP with both sets
of the TE's) have recorded the original versions.  Is there anyone else
who has recorded the complete original version? Rajna has a penetrating
insight, and more formidable technique than Howard in both sets.  Still
love Cziffra's and Ovchinikov's later versions, though!  Not sure the
earlier version, aside from circus-like virtuosity requirements in
finger-work, offers a deeper musical experience.  There was a reason
Liszt revised it, aside from the fact that no-one else could perform
the originals but him!

Joseph Previte