From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:56:37 PDT
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>Commenting on Don Satz's stated intention of finally getting organized (It
>must be the turn of a millenium or something!), Richard Pennycuick pokes
>numerous holes in the alphabetical approach.

Hey, it's not just an intention - I'm in the process of doing it.  I'm
about 33% finished.  And, the millenium IS approaching.  There's no reason
why I can't be Y2K ready as well as my computer.

Although Richard did restrict his "holes" to the alphabetical system, I
think that his main thrust was that any system has holes, and the more
volume you have, the more troublesome the holes are.

Ed also questioned if a different system would work better.  I don't think
so.  You can have a great data base system, but the physical problems of
storing thousands of cds and readily being able to locate a particular
recording will always exist.  The only remedy I know of is hard work to
keep it running smoothly.

At work, information retrieval is always a big priority.  At home, it's
cd retrieval that I need to concentrate on.

Don Satz