From:
Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:26:24 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I have trouble understanding why anyone would want an integral set
>of Mozart - or any major composer, for that matter, unless one had
>musical-history impulses.

Yes, but those are some of the best impulses! At various times in my life,
I have listened to the integral Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn (at least those
available on record), Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Verdi, and Bartok. The
insight you get into the development of individual composers, and their
relationship to those that preceded them, is priceless. As a hopeless
reader/studier/analyzer (see the .edu at the end of my email address), I
get as much pleasure from that knowledge as from the music itself.

Peter Goldstein