From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:35:58 GMT
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>a.  What about Arte Nova? The Naxos lovers seem to treat this other budget
>>label as a non-entity.

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]> responds:

>In effect, it is (or at least a nonstarter).  There have been key elements
>to Naxos's success: distribution; distribution; & distribution. ...
>
>Arte Nova on the other hand is just another traditional CM label run by
>traditional CM entrepreneurs aimed at the budget market.

Mr. Clements' point cannot be overstated.  The Naxos success story is one
of a single individual, with a very simple objective, implemented with
thoroughness and comprehensiveness.  Mr. Heynman {sp?} has so taken the
classical-recording industry by a touch of genius, capitalistic know-how,
and a perseverance seen so rarely seen elsewhere, and has brought an
"elitist' art form, to quote Donald Vroon, editor of American Record Guide,
to the masses.  Because of the high quality productions, the easy access
through multiple media, and a price that is the most competitive in the
marketplace, Naxos releases fifteen-to-twenty CDs a month.  And I, among
many other, have no trouble finding them, much less any problem paying the
paltry $5 to have one of them.  Arte Nova and kindred labels are
almost-rans, while Polygram and its great labels are a have-beens.  And the
winner is, classical music!

[log in to unmask] (D. Stephen Heersink)