From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:03:09 -0700
Chris Bonds wrote:

>The other concerns a story about Arthur Loesser (Frank's brother) who
>supposedly was one of America's great pianists.  He recorded the Bach WTC
>privately and the writer hopes this will come out on CD.  From the sound of
>it I hope so too.  If anyone reading this is in a position to take action,
>I think people would flock to buy it.  I'd also like anyone who knew AL to
>share stories here.

Alas, I only heard Loesser once, when he performed as a silent film
accompanist!  (this was in Cleveland, 1966) The film was Rene Clair's 1924
short "Entr'acte", a plottless dadaist affair with Marcel Duchamps, Man
Ray, Satie and others acting silly for the camera in Paris.  Satie provided
a jazzy, goofy piano score which Loesser banged out on an upright with wit
& verve.  He was obviously having a great time, and the audience loved it.

I agree that CD reissue of his recordings would be a great public service
(though I doubt the "flock to buy"; I suspect even many piano buffs have
never heard of him).  I have managed to find many of his LPs, including the
famous Town Hall recital and the complete WTC, which is indeed outstanding.

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.