From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:27:56 -0500
Nicholas J. Yasillo posted:

>Naples Daily News
>
>Royal Phil's concert marked by conductor's solo encore
>By PEG GOLDBERG LONGSTRETH, Special to the Daily News February 13, 2004
>
>Wednesday evening's standing-room-only concert at the Philharmonic
>Center for the Arts, turned out to be notable, not for the
>concert, featuring the world renowned Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,
>but for the encore performance of its highly touted young
>conductor.
>
>Daniele Gatti, the Royal Philharmonic's music director since ...

It never ceases to amaze me how full of themselves people can get.
In every profession, it seems, there are those who believe that they are
above humanity's humanity.  I suppose it is no surprise that in the arts,
where people aren't making widgets but dealing with the invisible, those
people become self-worshipping to the point of this kind of rudeness.
I am not opposed to conductors who glare at a noisy audience, but this
takes the cake.  I wish the public had booed him off stage.  Where are
the days of people taking produce to concerts when you need them?!?

I always suspected I wouldn't like Gatti ever since a good friend said
he didn't "get" Mahler's 5th... Now I can't even respect him.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com