From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 08:31:30 +0200
Deryk Barker [[log in to unmask]] replies to me:

>Mats Norrman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>What are the listmembers opinions on Sarastes set?
>
>I guess I'll have to listen again mts; I thought it was bland to the point
>of boredom.  And this from the city where Mravinsky reigned supreme for
>half a century!

Thank you for your interest Deryk.  I hope you will take a new listen and
report if you changed opinion or found something new.  To me, I also wanted
to add, the performance is poetic.  What do I mean with "Poetic"?:  Saraste
gives his musicians rahter free hands I think.  Listen to the opeining of
the first symphony:  In the score there are (almost) only quarternotes in
the clarinet and bass.  I wasn't sure of that before I looked.  The
musicians plays so freely so it almost gives the notes different values.
If that is the "right" way to play this music, though, I cannot judge as
some kind of general statement.

Mats Norrman