From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 09:36:39 -0500
Peter Wisse wrote:

>I really hate Beethoven.  They should stop playing his music for another
>25 years or so, maybe one could then make a reappraisal, and see which
>is worthwhile to perform again.

I take my Beethoven on an irregular basis, however when I was first
learning about music I was either hearing some Beethoven every day, or
practicing it at the piano.

As I may have mentioned before, on of my teachers suggested that if we were
to stop practicing, studying, listening to, broadcasting, and performing
the standard literature for just one year, how it might open us up to
finding other music that would have meaning to us.  She went on to
speculate that such a fasting from the standards might give us such a
different perspective on the music after our fast was over.

So much wonderful music out there, and so little time...

Karl