From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 17:20:41 -0700
Karl Miller asks:

>I must admit that Muti one of those major gaps in my awareness.
>My excuse being that I don't recall his having recorded much of
>anything off the beaten path.
>
>Would anyone can care to offer an opinion on his work?

To the chorus of nays, I'll add a mild yea.  I've heard only a
handful of his recordings, but I value the ones I have.

I have greatly enjoyed his Tchaikovsky, especially the Manfred (with
the Philharmonia on EMI) which I would rank among the best I know.
His Strauss symphonic poems (Berlin Philharmonic on Philips) are very
good, and quite exciting.  The recordings he made with Philadelphia of
Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade and the Respighi tone poems are generally
considered worthwhile, if perhaps not among the very best available.

But, absolutely nothing off the beaten path....

Dave
www.classical.net