From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:46:52 -0700
Bob Yoon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I would like to respond to several points.  I actually do believe that
>there are conductors today who deserve to be mentioned with the Reiners,
>Klemperers, and the Toscaninis.  To me, they are Abbado, Muti, Haitink,
>and especially Rattle.  Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the newer
>generations of conductors.  They're all starting to sound the same, and

You could tell the difference between Abbado and Muti, blindfold? i don't
think I could.

Haitink is a generation or half anwyay behind Abbado (mid 60s!) and Muti,
who are in turn 1/2 generation ahead of Rattle (43).

I think the newest generation actually seems to have *more* promise;
certainly Mark Wigglesworth, Frank Shipway exhibit great promise in the
recordings I've heard.

Deryk Barker