From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:00:57 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>De La Grange says that on May 8 (sic), 1906, Mahler conducted Tristan.
>The next day, Hitler attended a performance of The Flying Dutchman,
>conducted by Franz Schalk.  De La Grange adds that "probably" on May 22,
>Hitler attended Lohengrin, again conducted by Schalk.

Damned babble about De La Grange.  Whom do you take the man for? God?
Just that his biography is very detailed: He cannot know everything.
Impossible.  If you believe HLdlG can know *everything* you likely will
believe whatever one tells you.  Rudolph Sabor has put together a 350 pp
book, which I recently read, full of most fascinating details as addition
to the bios, details which a century of Wagner biographies has not included
- and I read most of the major ones - (though I came across some of the
info already in letters), yet it would be possible to put together several
more such 350 pp books.  And Mahler is as well documented as Wagner.  This
shows both that a person in modern world leave more imprints after him than
most seems to think, and the Wagner-bashers will see, when coming closer,
that stereotypes are constructions.

Mats Norrman