From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 01:34:14 -0800
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm afraid I don't buy this argument about being uncomfortable.  I know
>of no person who is afraid to look at one's neighbor at a concert, or who
>feels there is a particular mystery attached to the event.

Of course you don't buy it.  You didn't read what I wrote, you just read
which words I wrote.

With all respect I don't think you are very alike the standard concertgoer
in your knowledge and attiude either.  Especially not at an avant garde
concert.

>As for the applause, all a newcomer needs to do - if s/he is unsure what to
>do - is to wait until most people applaud.  Is that so difficult?

I hope a person is not supposed to go to a concert to investigate what
other members of the audience do.  I thought the point was the music, but
I can be wrong.

>As for disturbing the audience with your booing, that's another example
>of utmost lack of consideration, or even of extreme rudeness.

So it is ok with musicians who give a sloppy slibby roppy completely
unengaged performance in complete lack of interest for what they get
money for, but it is not ok to criticize them??

>*You* may be bored - so leave the concert hall quietly - but other people
>may enjoy the music.  Thanks goodness most people are more polite than you.

When I go to a concert I want passion, and if the performers can't play a
piece better then I can play myself, or compose, why should I be satisfied
with paying money that? And I will not leave the concerthall quietly --->
I think it feels lousy when I see people being fooled, or even worser:
agree on being fooled.  In most of cases in life I can't do much about
such things, but in this I can at least express my disguist with it, and
therefore I will do that.:-)

Mats Norrman