From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:01:57 -0400
Mats Norrman on Mahler 4:

>What are others favourites?

This is a favorite topic on the Mahler-List, of course.  Coincidentally,
my commuting music today was Mahler 4.  This time it was Horenstein.  I
love the way he makes the tympani very prominent in the first movement.
Another favorite of mine is Britten, who takes the first movement blazingly
fast but makes it work.  His soloist is a little too perfect for me (even
though she misses that one entrance by a bar or so).  My only other version
is the the Szell, but I rarely listen to it anymore in deference to these
two.  Collectors, take note:  One member of the Mahler list claims to have
over 100 versions of Mahler 4.

Mitch Friedfeld