From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 19:01:27 -0400
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Presently, I don't have a single Liszt disc of any type and would like to
>start with the three years/books of Annees de Pelerinage.  There's a strong
>element of nostalgia for my choice; my dad gave me his LP set of the Berman
>recordings just before his death.

A great set, I have both the vinyl and CD boxes.  Berman has also re-
recorded the last two years on a Phoenix Italy 2-CD box (I think issued to
commemorate his 25th anniversary after emigrating to Italy).  The remake
finds him more poetic, but in less good technical form than in his first
recording.  Still, an insightful recording in my view.

I also like Bolet a great deal, and also parts of Arrau, but Berman remains
my reference.  Incidentally, I have noticed a great discrepancy on the
price of that DG box (from about $18 to $35).  Borders seemed to have the
best price the last time I checked [I've given a couple of those boxes as
presents]

Ramon Khalona