From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:13:41 -0700
Man, oh man, I promised myself I'd stay off this thread.  Oh well...

Andrew Carlan's short list included:

>20. Mogens Woldike

Who? I've never heard of him.  A quick check to my Schwann Artist shows
he conducted the Vienna Staatsoper Orch, and that's all (that's recorded).
(And that there's an umlaut on the "o" in Wo"ldike.) Can you say anything
about him? Specialties? Style? Dates? Still alive? (Maybe a Nielsen freak?
Just a guess...)

I am still (happily) developing my taste in conductors, but (Andrew C.)
I was glad to see Stokie and Ormandy both made your short list.  I think
Stokowski is really cool, his was a whole new sound (to me).  Forget all
the strings bowing together!!  What's the point? Looks? It's -music-.  You
-listen- to it (as I used to have to tell my elementary theory students).

Plus his Bach Transcriptions (not to mention Ormandy's) are cool too.  He
did a lot to bring back Bach IIRC.  [The Phab Phillys really had it good
for a long time (IMO).] Does he [Stokie] get a bad rap? If so, why? Too
mean? I noticed that he did not make that many people's short lists on The
List.

Neither did Toscanini.  What's with that? He was a natural if there ever
was one.  Of course, bear in mind all my exposure with these Old School
Boys is through the recording industry, and in their minds (it seems to
me [phainetai moi hoti]) the top maestros [sorry Don] are/were

Karajan
Bernstein
Toscanini
Stokowski

even possibly in that order.  And they all take a fair bit of heat on this
List (and a fair bit of praise too, BTW).  Are they just too "pop"? I get
confused...I for one like HvK; well, not always, but often.  Especially his
earlier work.  I have a bunch of the recent (about a year ago) re-issues on
EMI, and I love them.

Ah, well.  Reading all your lists was great (to say nothing of revealing).
I'm glad E.  van Beinum and the great-but-flawed Beecham are still
well-esteemed.

Jeez.  I'd better stop now.  This is why I wasn't going to start on this
thread.

Bob K, (apparently) still nursing that punctuation fettish