From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:16:34 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>One Peter Tiboris recorded 3, 5 (I think) and 9.  People I know and trust
>who own them claim they are the most dismal performance of anything you
>ever heard.

I have broadcast them and found them less than stellar.  I recall
reading that Tiboris tried to "recreate" a Mahler performance of the works,
checking his notations in an effort to get the tempi close to what Mahler
may have used.  While that of course would be speculative, the end result
was, to my ears, more in the nature of a curiosity than anything else.

And a bit along the lines of this thread...I have often found it
interesting to hear other composers "retouching" composers of the past.
Just acquired Reger's redo of some Bach...which I rather enjoyed.

Karl