From:
John Hayward-Warburton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:22:38 +0000
Eric Kisch wrote:

>The amazing thing, looking back at those cartoons, is how much classical
>music was still part of the "general public"' experience.  The cartoons
>rely on a public knowing what they're poking fun at.  Show those today
>and almost no kid under 30 will know what the fuss is about.

Same goes for Tom & Jerry.  The array of `classical' references in the
superbly-played scores to those cartoons is without bounds.  And I don't
mean just `Brahms's lullaby' when Tom is asleep.  Anyone know how many
takes the orchestra typically used when recording one of those films?

Our TV is wired into the music replay system.  When T&J cartoons are
broadcast and we're watching, the volume always goes up.

John Hayward-Warburton