From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 12:16:48 -0500
Christine Rooney [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Maybe someone can name some other art song composers...(Griffes' "Lament
>of Ian the Proud" is another poem set with extreme sensitivity.)

Great song.  Some of my favorite art song composers include

Faure (just about everything)
Duparc
Mussorgsky
Vaughan Williams (On Wenlock Edge, Songs of Travel, Four Last Songs)
Britten (just about everything)
Ravel (Don Quichotte a Dulcinee, Chansons madecasses)
Mahler (everything)
Holst (12 Songs of Humbert Wolfe)
Brahms (everything)
Schumann (Heine settings, Spanisches Liederspiel)

Of course, I'm assuming you know Schubert.

Steve Schwartz