From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:09:09 -0500
Bill(Y) asks:

>WhoM was This Fellow?? I'll tell yerS why:- am staggering about @ 0520AM
>feelin' Blurry 'Orrid; & ABC FM Radio plays the Ives #1, & the presenter
>mentions that Mr P "Tore it to strips"!!

A late nineteenth-century American composer, follower of Wagner.  Some
wonderfully elaborate choral music, similar in technique to Elgar's.  Major
works include the opera Mona (I think about Druids) and the oratorio Hora
novissima, neither of which I care for - expertly written, but too genteel
- but he does have his partisans.  Taught at Yell, which Ives attended.
Ives showed him some of his more experimental pieces (the First Symphony,
Ives's graduation piece, is not experimental, but it *is* fairly up-to-date
for the times:  Dvorak is the model), but said that he learned to keep them
to himself.  Ives to some extent made Parker a whipping boy for Ives's lack
of recognition.  At any rate, Parker gets dumped on by people who've never
heard anything he wrote.  I think that one could fairly criticise Ives's
first symphony from a structural point of view, especially from an academic
standpoint, but to most people, the "mistakes" don't matter.

Steve Schwartz