From:
Robert Lyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:19:10 -0400
Ed wrote:

>However, when I listen to the music of an American composer such as
>Charles Ives, I find that the folk tunes, spirituals and hymns which
>are quoted are distracting.  I can't avoid pausing and thinking: "A ha!
>There is Turkey in the Straw."

I have exactly the same experience.  I think it's because of
over-familiarity.  Melodies that I know so well seem to stick out like
a sore thumb.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to get past it,
either.  Take care,

Bob Lyman
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/7610/
http://www.artists-in-residence.com/users/radiance/