From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:56:44 +0100
Gerardo Constantini wrote:

>And the really very but very worst (for me) are the Annes de
>Peregrinage(That music sounds for me like a kind of the religious
>manners of the old women who go to the church and stay praying for hours
>inside),the Ballades,the polonaises,and the famous "Dante Sonata".  When
>i was a contestant in the 1,980 Gina Bachauer Competition, at least 12
>contestants were playing that "work" what a torture.  It seems to me this
>"Dante Sonata" could match very well the aproach of Donald Satz.

What's the problem with Annes de Pelerinage (and the other works)? I can't
hear anything suggesting "religious manners"!? I think it's reasonably
traditional music that other romantic composer must have appreciated as
well.

The ballades and polonaises are slightly Chopinesque.  Do you like Chopin?
As for the Dante Sonata, it needs a very skilled intrepreter.  I don't
think anyone should try to play the Dante or B minor Sonata in public early
in thier career.  Structurally the Dante is a brilliant piece, but I wasn't
musically convinced until I heard Per Tengstrand play it last summer.  (He
is 30 years old, by the way).

Mikael ([log in to unmask])