From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:30:30 -0500
Here are some new releases that should be available in the States sometime
in January:

Arriaga String Quartets on ASV performed by the Arriaga Quartet - For
those not familiar with Arriaga, some feel that he could have been another
Mozart except that he died when he was in his early twenties.  I have an
Ensayo disc of his string quartets, and MDG recently recorded them as well.
Reviews of both cd's have been luke-warm.  Perhaps this new one on ASV will
get a better reception.  After all, I do expect authoritative performances
from a group with the same name as the composer (or do I?).

Robert Fuchs String Quartets, Volume 1 from MDG performed by the Minguet
Quartet - I'll likely purchase this recording.  I have read about Fuchs,
but I don't think I ever obtained any recordings of his works.

Gyrowetz String Quartets from Hyperion performed by the Salomon String
Quartet - Chandos, as part of its Contemporaries of Mozart series, has
already issued a disc of Gyrowetz symphonies which was well received.  Now
Hyperion is entering this field with some string quartets.  The Salomon
String Quartet is a period instrument group which gained a fine reputation
for Mozart and Haydn string quartet recordings in the 80's and early 90's.

Bach's WTC Book I performed on harpsichord by Gary Cooper for ASV - Mr
Cooper, if I remember right, directed a two-disc set of Rameau cantatas not
long ago for the same label.  I will definitely be getting the Bach set;
then I'll review some harpsichord and piano recordings of Book I.

Don Satz