From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:55:17 -0400
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>Bach - The Art of Fugue / The last - unfinished - Contraponctus (G.  Gould)

Oh yes, how could I forget? (My favorite performance is by the Franz Liszt
C.O.)

>Haendel   - Messias / "[O] thou that tellest good [tidings] to Zion"
>(Karl Ritcher)

Another winner.  My favorite: Kathleen Ferrier / Adrian Boult.  I believe
they were using an arrangment by Ebenezer Prout.  My CD of favorite Handel
and Bach Arias by Ferrier also contains another favorite movement: the Qui
Sedes from the B minor mass of Bach.

>Mozart - Great Mass C / Kyrie Eleyson (Karajan)

Great choice.

>Beethoven - Symph 5 / 1# mov  (I never found my great record.)

Ha.  My first choice.  Some of the new recordings from eastern Europe are
wonderful.  I bought a great collection from K Mart, it cost just $10 for
all the symphonies except 1, 2, 4, and 8.

>Wagner - Overture "Master Singers of Nuremberg" (but not with Marriner)

Well, who cares? We're talking about the movement itself, and it is a
mastepiece.

>Mozart - Clarinet Concert / 2# mov (Karl Bohn) - His farewell to life, IMO

Absolutely one of the best, and most memorable movements possibly in the
entire literature.  A close second is the slow movement of the Clarinet
Quintet, and there the star is the first violin.  Beautiful.

>Mozart - Requiem / Confutatis (Marriner)

Why not the Introit and Kyrie? One of the greatest choral efforts ever.
If only Bach had lived to hear this!  (He would have been about 105 years
old.)

Arch