From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:05:43 PDT
Janos Gereben wrote concerning a concert performance of a Scelsi work:

>To me, in contrast, Scelsi is an oversimplified John Tesh.

I can certainly understand a listener not appreciating Scelsi's music.
However, I'm totally perlpexed by any reference to John Tesh.  A John
Tesh comes and go with frequency and is soon forgotten.  I'm sure that
evaluations of Scelsi's music will be made in future generations, and
it could be that he will be considered one of classical music's master
composers.

One thing I do feel confident of is that listening to a work of Scelsi only
once can hardly even scratch the surface of gaining an understanding of his
music.

Don Satz