From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 16:44:33 PDT
Every now and then I pick up a disc of relatively obscure string quartets
by an obscure classical or early romantic composer.  Andreas Romberg
(1767-1821) falls into this category, and I acquired a new disc of his
opus 1 string quartets on MDG performed by the Leipziger Streichquartett.
This group has received much praise for its Schubert string quartet cycle,
Mozart string quartets, and other recordings of more recent composers.

Romberg's opus 1 quartets were published in 1799 and actually composed
about 1795.  They bear a stylish similarity to Haydn, but that's where the
commonality ends.  Romberg's quartets sound like Haydn on a very, very bad
day.  They contain totally unmemorable melodies and themes with a great
deal of note-spinning.  Kozeluch, born 20 years earlier, wrote string
qaurtets that are magnificent compared to Romberg.  Reicha was born just a
few years after Romberg, and his quartets are masterpieces in comparison.
Well, you get the point.

Why the Leipzigers decided to zero in on Romberg is a question only they
can answer.  Some of you might have Romberg's "The Song of the Bell" for
chorus, vocal soloists, and orchestra on Opus 111 conducted by Spering.
That fine work will not prepare you for the "dross" contained in the new
CD.

The musical inspiration nearly constitutes a vacancy.  The opening adagio
of the 4th movement of opus 1, no.  2 does have a little inspiration, but
that's about it for the entire disc.  To my surprise, the disc is listed as
Volume 1 of Romberg's string quartet oeuvre.  Romberg wrote about 30 string
quartets, so many more discs are likely ahead.  The booklet notes state
that Romberg's public stock took a nosedive once Beethoven got rolling
because Romberg's string quartets blazed no new paths.  I believe it was
simply because they have little melodic interest.

Don's Conclusion - The MDG catalog number is 307 0963-2, and you're better
off if you don't remember it.

Don Satz