From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:16:44 -0500
Mats Norrman wrote:

>Richard Pennycuick [[log in to unmask]] wrote:
>
>>Which reminds me of the story of Lenny actually falling from the podium,
>>clambering back on and continuing as if nothing had happened.  Truth or
>>urban legend?
>
>...or is this some new sort of Lenniebashing? ;-)

We've talked about this on the Mahler-List from time to time.  The disc is
LB's Mahler 9 with the Berlin PO.  I noted that the horrible noise near the
end of the finale sounded as if Lenny had fallen off the podium.  One list
member claimed to have read that the noise was in fact that.  That crash,
and other noises from Lenny, was the main reason I finally gave up on that
disc.  I traded it for Bruno Walter's later Mahler 9 and have never
regretted it.

Mitch Friedfeld