From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:25:42 PDT
Todd McComb wrote:

>I still think that using supernatural terms to describe the work of humans
>makes them, well...less human.

Todd continues to dwell on a one-dimensional definition of "awe", that
it must have an otherworldly or religious connection.  That's just wrong.
Dictionaries and common usage reveal a more flexible approach which would
also include - admiration & respect.  As an example, we well know how
"awesome" has been used for many years now.  Further, given that I have
no supernatural or religious beliefs, I couldn't possibly be using the
work in that context.  However, in the interests of compatability, I'll
be glad to dump "awe" and go with "highest level of admiration."

>But then I'm crazy enough to have thought that hard work and craftsmanship
>were two good things...

Todd also referred to "our differing impressions of the value of hard
work."

I don't think we have a different impression of the value of hard work,
just a different notion of its place in the artistic process.  Hard work
and craftsmanship are two of the building blocks.  They are very important
and I never said otherwise.  However, Bach's stature as a composer and
the greatness of his music go well beyond what hard work and craftsmanship
can provide.  If that was what Bach's music exemplified, he would just be
another competent baroque composer.  But, there are other components of
a higher nature such as insight, creative juices, musical gift, etc.

So, yes, hard work and craftsmanship are "good things" and can be achieved
by a great many individuals.  What most individuals are incapable of is the
creative genius to compose materworks.  If Todd can not agree, why doesn't
he write a masterpiece and settle this in his favor?

Don Satz