From:
Aryeh Oron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:57:37 +0200
I am managing the Website of Bach Cantatas Recordings Review and Mailing
List, which was launched at the end of Year 2000. The site is a collective
project, being compiled from various postings about Bach Cantatas,
especially recordings of them, most of which have been sent to the Bach
Cantatas Mailing List. 66 cantatas are already on this site, and it is
updated regularly. The site is relatively popular among the sites in the
Classical Music field, with about 3,000 entries in a period of 10 weeks.

Since I launched the Bach Cantatas Website, I have constantly thought how
this site could have been improved and what is missing to give a fuller
picture of the world of recorded Bach Cantatas. Then I realized that
actually most of the Bach Cantatas performers are almost unknown. I was
looking all over the Web and found out that only very few of the performers
have a Website or something like a biography available on the Web. I have
even tried the New Edition of the Grove, and found out that many of those
figures do not even have an entry in this respected encyclopaedia.

Then I thought that the best idea would be building a repository of short
biographies of all the important (and less important) performers (mainly
Conductors and Singers) of the Bach Cantatas (and Bach's Other Vocal Works)
in the Bach Cantatas Site. I have already started to build this section of
the Site by myself. I wrote to the record companies, but very few of them
have responded. Some other biographies were contributed by the members in
the Bach Cantatas Mailing List. I collected most of the information about
some other artists from linear notes in the booklets attached to the CD's.
You can see the already available biographies in the relevant section of
the Site (see address below).

You have now the opportunity to contribute to this section of the Site. If
you want to contribute a biography, please send it to my e-mail address,
as plain text in the body of the message (and not as an attachment).
Please mention the name of the Author and the exact source (and date,
if available). Please, keep the biography concise (up to 500 words) and
check the accuracy of the details. I shall do the editing (if necessary),
converting to HTML and adding the relevant links. After that I shall put
the biography in the Website. If you have any corrections and/or additions
to the details of the biographies in this section of the Bach Cantatas
Website, or suggestions for improvements, please send me a message.

The relevant addresses:
Bach Cantatas Recordings Review and Mailing List Archive:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com
Index to Short Biographies of Performers of the Bach Cantatas:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/IndexBiographies.htm
My e-mail: [log in to unmask]

I am looking forward for your active participation in creating this part of
the Bach Cantatas Website.

Enjoy,

Aryeh Oron
Bach and Jazz Music Fan