From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:01:07 -0700
Wilson Pereira ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I do not often buy records at full price, but last week I got from my
>favourite mail order record company a disc (RCA Red Seal 09026 68802-2)
>containing almost all musical output (afaik) by the French composer Paul
>Dukas (1865-1935).

Dukas was so fussy as to make Brahms destruction of his first 20 string
quartets (according to the composer) look restrained.  He allowed very few
works to survive and destroyed about half of them just before his death.

I'd also recommend his virtuosic piano sonata very highly.

>...  By the way, isn't Mr. Slatkin a much-underrated conductor??

Is he? Seems to me that in certain areas (his RVW cycle, his Mahler) he
is overrated.

Deryk Barker