From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:40:36 -0500
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>Perhaps the monomaniacal dedication to the Cult of
>>News and Chit-chat will be reexamined.
>
>Dr. Chasan makes comments along these lines rather frequently.  I would
>contend that News and Chit-chat as he calls it, are a fundamental
>ingredient for a healthy and informed society.
>
>After all, what is it we do here in this very forum but exchange news
>and chit-chat about music?
>
>I wonder what Dr. Chasan's opinion would be if NPR offered a talk program
>dedicated to the promotion of classical music.

I listen to All Things Considered.  I listen to some good discussion
programs on WBUR.  I follow blogs - a few of them.  I read the New York
Times on line.  I AM NOT ANTINEWS.  But the amount of news available on
a station like WBUR is bizarre and leaves room for nothing else.  After
Morning Edition comes BBC.  After BBC and before a news oriented discussion
program  " The Connection"comes a 5 minute summary of...THE NEWS!!!!  I
salute those public radio stations that broadcast some news, some music.
It is the monomaniacal part I cannot take.

And yes, Kevin, I would welcome a talk program on classical music.
Incidentally, there are some good classical music blogs- Alex Ross has
avery interesting one.  And Kevin, lose the civics lesson.  Knowledge
is no longer power if it ever was.

Bernard Chasan - who need to cut down on news intake to preserve mental
health.