From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:12:41 -0800
Karl Miller wrote:

>It amazes me that some films seem to work without music...perhaps because
>they are good drama.  Yet, I often find that much of the music I hear
>in films these days, seems to cheapen the expression...it can sound so
>artificial.

Then there are a (very) few movies that have no music whatsoever. The
one which immediately springs to mind is Fail Safe.

OTOH and also on the merry topic of nuclear annihilation, Dr.
Strangelove makes wonderful use of music, from the Try a Little
Tenderness used in the opening scenes of B-52s refuelling in flight
to the final ironic We'll Meet Again over films of mushroom clouds.

And of course, When Johny Comes Marching Home, as Slim Pickens and his
crew battle to keep their B-52 aloft.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>