From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:02:07 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
          Toccatas & Fugues

1-2. Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
3-4. Toccata & Fugue in F major, BWV 540
5-6. Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 538
7-9. Toccata, Adagio & Fugue in C major, BWV 564

Danacord 528
Recorded June 1999
Sandtner Organ(1975), Eichstatt Cathredral, Germany(BWV 565)
Marcussen Organ(1970), Lubeck Cathedral, Germany(BWV 540 & 564)
Wagner Organ(1723), Brandenburg Cathedral, Germany(BWV 538)
Hans Helmut Tillmanns, Organ
TT 54:54

When last we met, Hans Helmut Tillmanns was giving us less than competitive
performances on his Bach Chorales disc.  I would think that the betting
odds wouldn't be very favorable for a Tillmanns disc of powerful Bach organ
works, but this set of performances is much better than those on the disc
of chorales.

Tillmanns definitely realizes that power and punch are requirements
for each of the four works.  He still takes to the smooth road, but not
excessively as he does in his recording of chorales.  The beginning of his
BWV 540 takes flight in a mesmorizing manner, and the Fugue is loaded with
majesty.  Particularly rewarding is his Adagio from BWV 564.  It's a
gorgeous reading with a very soft yet deep ending.

Only Tillmann's BWV 565 is not very satisfying.  The Toccata cries out
for sharp angles, and Tillmanns will never deliver them; it's not part of
his musical personality.  Also, the Fugue is too benign; this is the sole
time on the disc that Tillmanns provides insufficient strength.  Making
matters worse, he summons up the power of the universe for the conclusion.
However, I don't feel he's set any foundation for such a dramatic switch
in the music's emotions.

The playing time of under sixty minutes is quite skimpy, and another work
could easily have been accomodated.  A label of less than major recognition
would be wise to fill up those discs.

Don's Conclusions:  The Tillmanns disc of Bach Toccatas & Fugues is
very enjoyable, and I have no qualms about recommending it to Bach organ
enthusiasts.  The Marcussen Organ is especially well matched to Tillmann's
style, and the two other organs are fine instruments.  Of the three discs
from Tillmanns devoted to Bach, this is the one to acquire.  Actually,
there is now a fourth release from Danacord which I'll be reviewing once
I order it.

Any downsides to buying the recording? Yes - total playing time.  Although
the disc is a fine one, there are others out there which offer more music.
So this is a 'thumbs-up" release without occupying any hallowed ground.

Don Satz