From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:54:43 -0400
We can create ideals that judge us and find us all to have fallen short
of what it is to be human.  But some have fallen a quantum leap more than
others.  A quantitative difference becomes qualitative.  We can argue over
where it applies practically in the real world.  But we can't argue that it
applies unless we are willing to destroy an important part of our humanity.

That is why I don't address Adorno.  I don't know to what extent I can
influence future events by what I do with my life, but I am ignoring a
part of the ideal if I don't try to tip the future towards what I profess
to believe in, no matter that my words may be twisted.

I will not buy that music has such a special importance, like a powerful
politician, that it can live above the law that sustains it.  Art as folk
culture preceded a system of laws at least claiming some basis in ethics
but not high art.

Sorry, guys, lost myself in the argument.  This high falutin' stuff makes
me feel a bit uncomfortable, too.  But we gotta do it like someone says
"for the children."

A. Carlan
Still standing up for Nielsen--and a very happy birthday, indeed, to one
who has given me such constant pleasure over so many decades in the changes
life always brings.