From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 16:35:52 -0400
Jeff Tedford writes:

>Duke Ellington is IMHO sui generis.  He was blessed and cursed with
>economic conditions that required him to maintain an orchestra straddling
>the world of popular music and something more.  ...  As with CM
>re-listening pays dividends both within a given performance and over time.
>Ellington's compositions "evolved" in unexpected ways and his creative
>compositional life remained vital for nearly 5 decades.

I think these are very good points, and I want to point out also that
Ellington paid a price for his attempts to deepen his music and and
stretch his audience.  His 1943 first Carnegie Hall concert disappointed
some fans and critics because he provided the Black Brown and Beige suite:
a serious, extended work that was very different from the "dance music"
many demanded of him.  He had to simultaneously feed popular demand as a
way of keeping a large band employed over the years so he could also hear
the serious music he composed each night-- no Esterhazey being available
to a black man in mid twentieth century America.  But he persisted in his
efforts (some better than others) to write innovative, concert music right
through the Sacred Concerts of the 60's and Far East Suite of the 1970s.

Perhaps it would be helpful to introduce Ellington's own words into the