From:
Linda Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 07:32:30 -0400

Dave Lampson wrote:

>I think music must contain an essential core of beauty, or it's not music.

Perhaps this discussion is really about the definition of beauty.

A cinematographer once told me that the most beautiful faces on film are
those which he said possessed a "fragile" beauty.  He meant fragile in the
sense that the beauty existed only from moment to moment.  A sudden change
of expression, light, movement and the face became ordinary, sad, even
strikingly ugly.  The fact that beauty could suddenly blossom forth was
engaging and bewitching.  It captured the eye and the heart.  By contrast,
perfect faces were boring.

Perhaps we are noticing the same thing about music.

Linda Rogers