From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:22:10 -0800
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Jocelyn Wang wrote:
>
>>Very few concerts have stirct time constraints.  Most orchestral concerts
>>will last around two hours, usually somewhat less for chamber concerts,
>>but if it lasts somewhat more or less, it really doesn't matter that much.
>
>More than once I have seen a conductor take the concert master by the hand
>and lead him offstage, ending the concert.  I believe it is common for
>orchestra musicians to receive overtime pay if a concert goes beyond a
>certain hour.

My original post specified cutting repeats for artistic reasons, not
financial ones.  But, generally, the practice of taking the concertmaster
off takes place after audience applause results in so many bows that the
conductor is jokingly saying that the only way to stop the audience is to
take the orchestra off the stage.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic