From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:17:45 -0800
On the issue of my continuing quest for the perfect 6th of Mahler (And
ONLY Mahler, goshdurnit!:-P), I just got the chance to finally put the
Barbirolli version in my player...  and it popped out just a few seconds
later...  Yeesh!  Just as sludgey-slow as his 5th!  And I'm sure it can't
be that his orchestra just can't play it at a faster tempo!

Anyway, I'm now looking foward to receiving my copy of the Chailly M6,
hoping it will be just as fine to my ears as his 5th...  although...  some
worries-- Gramophone remarked, on reviewing Chailly's M6 that he "must have
been listening to Barbirolli's version..."...  uh-oh!  Well, hope it's not
all THAT bad!:-P

Albie