From:
Lavrenti Vachnadze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:00:09 EST
Mahler, Bruckner, Elgar, Wagner & Tchaikovsky are high up there.  I just
don't get any more "emotional highs" from these five whom I think I had
my fair share of listening.  But I believe I'll somehow come around to
Mahler later.  I did initially like Mahler (1, 2, 3, 5, 9, Song of the
Earth, etc.).  And then I just totally missed the obsessions with death.
Tchaikovsky was actually my first contact with music.

And Vivaldi, Salieri, and Rossini are "immediate turn-offs" if I hear
them on my local public stations.  I just wonder who like them, along
with early Haydn or Mozart symphonies, that we almost get daily dose
here.  Sometimes the programing can run over two hours without any pieces
composed after the 1820's.  But, again, on the flip side, I used to think
that I'll never like Faure, Saint-Saens,or Berlioz.  Now I am beginning
to warm up to them.  And the whole French scene at the turn of the century
(pro or anti-Wagnerians) all sounds very fascinating to me.

Lv. Vachnadze