From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 05:29:23 -0700
One of my favourite choral recordings is the McCeash/Gabrielli Consort
Victoria Requiem on Archiv.  By using a male only choir (glorious singing
from the countertenors!) the sound has an integrated quality missing from
the version by the Tallis scholars.

For those of you who have claimed that they cannot tell the difference
between a male/countertenor and a male/woman choir I can only suggest
you compare these two recordings.

Having said this, I am greatly disturbed by the problems faced by woman
and girl choristers in gaining a foothold within Cathedral choirs in
this country.  There must be equal opportunity to sing God's praises.

Regards,

David H.
Nottingham, UK