From:
John Hayward-Warburton <music@BILLAJuozas Rimas.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:00:50 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>It's my impression that high-end audio stores advise against buying them
>(equalizers) as they declare that their use distorts the recorded sound
>provided by the recording engineers.  I think that premise is faulty, as
>the recording engineers distort the sound to begin with.

Hmmm...  some of us try not to.  However, it's not difficult to run
into trouble during a recording if one lacks experience in dealing with
various acoustics, etc.  I'd suggest that most problems are caused by
rather `peaky' unwanted resonances, which a really good equalizer can help
to knock out.  However, the engineer should really spot them with his/her
ears before the CD is cut!

yours,
John Hayward-Warburton