From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:58:35 +0100
Wilson Pereira wrote:

>Does anyone know which was the first recording of Classical Music in
>stereo?  Can anyone provide more information about how and when the
>process of recording in stereo started?  Who or which record company
>invented the whole process?  Thank you in advance.  Best regards,

Stereo recording was invented in England by Alan Blumlein at EMI.
Blumlein registered the patent for it in 1931.  He made the first
stereo recordings and I think Beecham and the LPO were among the first
to be so recorded.  There is a book about him and his work which extended
to 128 other patents.  The book is called=A0"The Inventor of Stereo: The
Life and Works of Alan Dower Blumlein" by Robert Charles Alexander and
published by Focal Press.

He was killed in WWII whilst testing a system of airborne Radar.  Like
Decca, EMI were big in defence work too.

Tony Duggan