From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:36:34 +0000
Zeev Schor writes:

>I like very much the performances (somewhat old) of Brendel and Kempff,
>but somehow Goode's playing (especially in Beethoven's early piano
>sonatas) leaves me cold.  CM Fans' opinions will be appreciated.

I find Goode too much of a gentleman in Beethoven's piano sonatas,
much preferring the sets from Kempff and Brendel.  How about the GM set
performed by Russell Sherman?  It's quite good and distinctive as Sherman
always puts on the 'thinking cap' in deciding how he wants to play a
particular passage or movement.

Also, there's nothing wrong with complete sets; just don't expect every
sonata performance to be among your favorites.  Further, don't forget
Solomon, Richter, and Schnabel for Beethoven's sonatas.

I do have a question for Zeev - what in the world does your brother like
so much about the Goode set?

Don Satz