From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:07:35 -0500
Janos wrote:

>Still, I just don't see a valid
>comparison between SFS and Boulder's Mahlerfest.

Well, I was being *slightly* rhetorical.  However, a comparison of
Colorado MahlerFest's 1996 recording of Mahler 9 with the new MTT/SFSO
9th -- parts of which we heard at last January's MahlerFest -- might
surprise you.  That 1996 recording is sensational.  OTOH, all of us at
MFest were struck -- struck dumb, that is -- at the way MTT treated the
entry of the second dance theme in the Laendler movement.  One attendee
used the word "elephantine" to describe it.  Still, we did not hear the
whole thing, so who knows.  And I am on record as admiring a live
performance of MTT's Mahler 6, which he took on tour five years ago.

>I have heard Robert Olson's work in recordings, and impressive as that
>may be, MTT/SFS is in another, ahem, league.  That, of course, is "just
>my opinion."

Fair enough.  Those of you who wonder how an orchestra like MahlerFest's
can pull off a recording of, say, the world premiere of the Wheeler
version of the 10th, should check out that performance as well.  Or
better yet, plan to attend next year's MahlerFest.  Like we say, it's
the only place in the world where we MahlerManiacs can talk about what
we want, where we want, and as loud as we want, and not get arrested.

I hope to see you there next year, Janos.

Mitch Friedfeld, no commercial ties to Colorado MahlerFest