From:
Scott Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:21:07 EST
[log in to unmask] writes regarding Die Kunst Der Fuge for saxophone quartet
on MDG:

>I'll probably buy it now that Ramon has spoken highly of it.

There are at least two other versions of which I'm aware--the Los Angeles
Saxophone Quartet on Protone Records and the Berliner Saxophon Quartett
on Cpo.  I've only heard clips from each online, but was surprised at how
attractive they sound--somewhat resembling, to my ears, a rather dark and
smoky organ; an interesting juxtaposition, to be sure, I'd love to hear how
it holds up for an hour, rather than the few minutes I heard.

And have you heard the Canadian Brass's version of Die Kunst Der Fuge, Don?
It's what turned me on to Bach in the first place.  I don't know enough
to judge whether or not their technique is outstanding--I recall there
was some debate about this a while ago--but I find this disc to be utterly
captivating.  Obviously, an enormous amount of that is simply Bach, but the
sound of the brass in this context is just majestic.  I'd be curious to
know what others think.

Scott Peterson