From:
Igor Geubbelmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 23:20:40 +0200
I think that one can't 'avoid' any-thing when one wants to 'know' the works
of Mahler (as far as it is to know).

Of course for me too are some works of him of more more meaning than
others, but doesn't this has to do with our personal appreciation?

We must look to the music of Mahler as we must look to Mahler himself.
It's true that the whole of Mahler's oeuvre is one, giant circle (but if
it's closed is another question of course).  Mahler wanted to bring in
his oeuvre the idea of 'Pantheism': God that shows himself in the nature,
and that nature, that whole world in fact he wants to bring this into his
works.  This means in his Songs and in his symphonies.  It all flows in
each other.  Also the great 'contradictions' in the works show the
contradictions of this world: using a great symphonic sound the one and
a more chamber-orchestra sound the other moment, placing a fuga against
a march, a choral agains a Landler, ...

Seen the fact that Mahler uses a lot of his material of his songs in his
symphonies, I think it's important to know them too, just because of this
circle idea!  A subjective meaning on the songs: I think they are lovely!!
Just listen to the texts and the music together, as they (again) form one
unit, one universe!  Just an example: the last of the Ruckertlieder "Ich
bin der Welt Abhanden gekommen": lovely (and a typical romantic subject)

Igor Geubbelmans
Belgium