From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:21:48 -0700
On 20 Aug 2008 at 18:50, Deryk Barker wrote:

> None necessary Donald.  The more I think about this piece the more
> irritated I get with the guy's intellectual dishonesty: "I've been fooling
> myself for 30 years, now I've seen through this and obviously anyone who
> claims/thinks they appreciate this stuff is fooling themselves.">
> I think your blog article pretty much nails it/him.>
> The most disappointing aspect of all this, for me, is that the world's
> finest newspaper gave space to his ill-informed rant.

Unfortunately things change.  The Queenan article is only one of
numerous deliberately crass "opinions" in that paper.  There there's
been a sea change in editorial policy, and not just in music.  The idea
now seems to be to stir up attention regardless of whether it's worth
anything.  Naturally the more crass a piece, the more attention it gets.
Recently they ran a poll on who murdered a famous TV star.  No evidence
needed.  Once upon a time, things like that were examined by the justice
system.  Why bother with things like informed and thoughtful when mob
values rule ?

Anne