From:
Bill Drewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 07:21:58 -0500
Wilson Pereira asked the Sinopoli/Philharmonia and Rattle/CBSO Mahler 9ths.

While I like both of these, I wouldn't recommend either as a first or only
choice.  Rattle's orchestra is, I think, the VPO rather than the CBSO: if
so, I'd say its recorded sound is magnificent in the outer movements, and
it is very idiosyncratic in its decrescendo at the end of the Burleske and
its quick movement into the adagio Finale.  (This is an effect that does
not work at all for me, but there are still the 1st and last movements
on their own, and in them is much beauty.) Sinopoli is idiosyncratic, as
often, in other ways: his sounds like the most 'modern' 9th I have ever
heard: there is no comfort or consolation in the Finale, or none that
I hear.  I would say that it is Mahler seen through the eyes of George
Orwell, and I find it remarkable and well worth hearing, but I doubt it
would be to everyone's taste.  If you like other Mahler by Sinopoli, then
I suspect you may like it a lot: if you can't abide other Sinopoli, best
stay away ;-)

Bill Drewett