From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 14:34:09 -0400
Jean Louis Di Domenico <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Early this morning, about 7:45am I heard a violin concerto for 2 violins
>I was most impressed by the work involved with.  I am no musicien.  I
>just love "emotions" coming out of pieces such as this one.  I called ABC
>Classic FM and aks about it.  Of course it was a DGG 1958 remastered David
>Oistrach (on a Strad) and son Igor Oistrach with the Moscow Orchestra.  ...

The one you heard on the radio is the DG recording with the Royal Phil.
conducted by Eugene Goossens.  This has been released on a DG Galleria
single disc and on a DG Originals 2-CD set.  I also have three other
recordings of this concerto with the Oistrakhs:

- Moscow Chamber Orchestra, cond. by Barshai (mono, Monitor label)
- USSR Symphony, cond. by Kondrashin (stereo, Russia Revelation)
- Leipzig Gewandhaus cond. by Konwitschny (mono, berlin Classics)

Of all of these, my favorite is the one with Barshai, but it may be OOP by
now.  FWIW, I once saw a video where Artur Rubinstein commented on the
Oistrakh's playing this concerto and he said he had never heard better.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California