From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:40:20 -0800
Roger Hecht wrote:

> My late close friend Richard Burns, once of Yale, later recording
> engineer at Syracuse University, had tapes of Ives himself singing some
> of his songs.  A great voice he did not have, but there is always some
> interest in hearing something like this, at least for a while--I remember
> it becoming wearying after a while. I have no idea what happened to the
> tapes after Dick died.  They might have ended up in Yale's archives.

I know of three takes (one abandoned) of They Are There, which can be
found along with his other (piano) recordings on a New World CD
(http://www.amazon.com/Ives-Plays/dp/B000ETRM9E/classicalnet/)

I've never heard or seen any other recordings.

They Are There is the recording which was "accompanied" by the Kronos
Quartet on a CD about 15 years ago. A bigger waste of time I cannot imagine.

But to hear Ives himself, is very special.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>