From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:35:04 PDT
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I might as well forfeit all my credibility and admit that I prefer
>Dvorak's string quartets to Brahms's - not all of them (some early
>examples definitely show the composer feeling his way), but the mature
>ones.  Dvorak certainly has more of them to love, compared to Brahms's
>modest three.

For the past year or so, I also have preferred the Dvorak string quartets
to those by Brahms.  I'm not sure why Steve feels there might be a little
"public" forfeiture of credibility for preferring Dvorak.  His string
quartets have an excellent reputation, better than the reputation for
Brahms.  Regardless, I find myself listening to Dvorak and Brahms string
quartets more in recent years than Mozart/Haydn.

Don Satz